I was about to start badgering our custom dev team to create a plugin for Power BI, to enable in the card visualisation background images and some text formatting for a project I was on, but then a new custom visualisation for Power BI was released.
Looks great and I’ve been playing with it for the last few days and for some instances will work very well, but its not (in my opinion) production ready for some of the visualisations. Why? two main things are an issue.
1 – It doesn’t preserve the formatting of the measures. So anything i set a ‘,’ with two decimal places, or format it as a percentage, it will not show it. I get 0.3874634793290000000000. Well that’s a bit pants
2 – Fill percentage doesn’t work in a intuitive way. For a range of values it takes the highest value and then fills the rest with a ratio to the highest value. For example
I’ve set some values as 75, 55, 40, 33, and then added a bit of the internal art to show a fill percentage. I was expecting the 75 value to only show a fill of 75%, but it takes the highest value, fills it to 100%, than based on that ratio will fill the rest, so a value of 37.5 (half of 75) will fill the next image as 50%. I’ve tried setting the values as 75%, 0.75, 75, but nothing seems to work. I’ve emailed the team that make it with some suggestions.
1 – A tick box or other option that can indicate that the value is a percentage and should fill accordingly
2 – Be able to set the unfilled area via a measure, so you can a target, set a filled (80) and unfilled value (20) and it will work out the correct ratio to fill it.
There might be a work around, where you have two layers. I’ll experiment and update the article when I can! But it’s will be a valuable addition to the visuals if the team can tidy it up in a few places.